Compost Crew, a locally owned business based in Rockville, MD, is a high growth organics recycling company. The company was founded with the objective of rescuing unwanted food scraps from the landfill, helping to retain valuable nutrients by converting the food scraps into a rich soil amendment – compost. The company has grown to serve thousands of homes, businesses, communities and governments throughout Washington D.C., Maryland, and Virginia, and composted tens of millions of pounds of organic material.
We are hiring Composting Fellows on a rolling basis to assist in composting operations at our on-farm Compost Outposts, located in Poolesville, Maryland. This Fellowship will offer an in-depth and hands-on experience to learn about composting operations for on-farm systems trained by a MDA Certified Compost Facility Operator. In addition, the Fellow will have exposure to a variety of compost industry seminars, learning opportunities, academic materials, sales exposure, commercial compost facility tours, and networking opportunities by experts in the field to receive a well-rounded experience. We offer seasonal, biannual, and annual terms with flexible hours to best fit your schedule.
Assist in weekly composting operations at our Compost Outpost(s):
- Facility set-up and breakdown.
- Record composting operation metrics including, but not limited to; feedstock received, pile temperatures, Carbon to Nitrogen ratios, bay(s) used, moisture, working hours, and any additional notes.
- Assist in any decontamination and sorting procedures as required in the Composting Facility Operating Plan (CFOP).
- Assist in adding pile moisture and dust suppression techniques.
- Assist in feedstock mixing, pile placement, and pile turning.
Participate in weekly composting education, research, and industry updates:
- Develop and support ongoing and upcoming research projects and innovations.
- Attend virtual weekly meetings with the Composting Division to discuss ongoing projects.
- Attend virtual lectures, seminars, and/or meetings that provide composting industry updates to present to the composting team at Compost Crew.
- We also offer options study sessions for fellows interested in becoming a Maryland-Certified Compost Facility Operator.
- Support the Composting Division with any additional projects or tasks.
- Proficient in English (both reading and writing).
- Interested in receiving experience in an environmental field, to include composting, farming, environmental education, and sales opportunities.
- Effective listening skills.
- Clear communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work individually and with a team effectively.
- Must be a self-starter, capable of taking on multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, Google applications, spreadsheets, and other tools.
- Attention to detail.
- Flexibility to adapt to a fast-changing work environment.
- Experience operating a skid steer and driving a pickup truck with a trailer is a plus.
- Be a team player, willing to share and learn from other members of the team, and to learn from your peers’ best practices.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of protecting the planet and reducing waste.
For more information on how to apply, go to https://compostcrew.com/careers/.